Subscribe to My Mailing List

Google Groups Subscribe to Watercolorist
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com

Friday, November 17, 2006

A Celebration Of Light


My newest painting is hot off the board and is off to the printer as we speak! I am hoping that it also will be a step by step demo in my new book out next October. I had taken this photo several years ago and was afraid to start painting it because I knew if it did not get just right it would not be one I would ever repeat. In the end I had to do the fabric freehand as the deadline was looming over me. It turned out and I am very happy with it.
Creating the look of light is something I try with all of my paintings but in some it is more dramatice because of the cast shadows. This is what very often sets apart a painting and catches the eye.
Working with only transparent watercolors works for me because I never worry about not being able to lift an area. It still will leave a slight stain but it allows me to try somethings that I would never try with an opaque staining color. Plus, transparent paints allow the white of the paper to glow through creating the illusion of light!

9 comments:

Artmaker - Cecilia Price said...

Hi Janie, this is Cia. Wow, this painting is stunning! What kind of paper is this? I'm attempting to learn to paint on hot press by Arches. What a different thing! But the colors are so much brighter.

We miss you at SW. I wish you would have stayed there, and gone no mail, or daily digest or something. I know the mail can be overwhelming. Do you mind if I put a link to your blog on my blog?

Cia

Anita said...

more WOW from me - love the dappled light on the fruit and the fabric is just perfect!

FORDart said...

Beautiful work! Some of the best realism in watercolor that I've seen in a long time. Thank you for sharing!

Michelle Himes said...

I love the light on those pears!

Michelle

Tracy Hall said...

Gorgeous work, Jane!

VernitaTX said...

Janie, this is so beautiful. It really does shine with the light! It is just wonderful.

Mary Jansen said...

Oh wow Janie!!! I think this is my favorite! I'll be coming back to it over and over again to study that rich warm lighting. It will be in the book, won't it? I'd like it in hard copy when the book comes out...You are such an inspiration!
-Mary

Jane Freeman said...

I must thank everyone. You know, I will confess I was unaware for all this time that I could respond and keep this up! I am sorry now for all the questions I was unable to answer in the past posts but will slowly work to the beginning answering any I find and hopefully it will help someone else. Sorry about that!

Alvin Richard said...

This painting is superb. The quality of the light is so unique that it produces a piece where the reality appear to be in a state of suspension. The attention to detail also has a special quality. It as if you are detailing "the details" if that is possible. KUDOS!