Subscribe to My Mailing List

Google Groups Subscribe to Watercolorist
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com

Saturday, July 05, 2008

The Peonies are Finished!


THESE IMAGES ARE COPYRIGHTED ANDF MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED IN ANY WAY!
I have finished the peonies but still do not have a title for them. Since they were from my girlfriend, Susan Hoosier's garden, I have thought of calling them Hoosier Hotties! Ha! But perhaps that is not the best title so still thinking. If you have a good idea, please let me know!
I thought I would explain the background on the right. I did a pale wash of New Gamboge and let it dry, then a pale wash of Quinacridone Rose in places. When I do this the entire area is wet but I place the paint only in a few areas. Being the paper is wet it makes soft glazes and each glaze will shine through. The last coats which were 3, were a mixture of Naph. Maroon and Sap Green to create an interesting brown that was a unifing color with what I had already done. I like to use a limited palette when I can and use 4=6 colors and mix them with one another to achieve a cohesivness.
This was a full sheet and ended up about 21x29 whuch is a nice size to make a statement.

4 comments:

Billie Crain said...

Bravo!!!! really stunning! good luck with the title business. i always struggle with titles.

Regina said...

This is a fabulous painting. I've really enjoyed following your progress. Thanks for sharing.
I also enjoy using a limited palette. I find it simplifies the decision process during the creation of a painting. I will often "audition" colors in a spiral bound watercolor tablet. This is growing into a wonderful reasource.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you create next.
Blessings to you.

Beyla Medina said...

Jane is the fabulous watercolor!
Ilike the colors that employees and I congratulate you. Sorry for my English, I try to understand what I say.
Best regard,

Doris Joa said...

Hi Janie,
this peonies are the most wonderful peonie painting which I have seen yet. It is perfect and I could not say, which flower I love the most. The colours are so beautiful and I like how you did the composition and the background. Absolutely WOW!!!!!!