Subscribe to My Mailing List

Google Groups Subscribe to Watercolorist
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com

Monday, January 05, 2009

Sprinkler Update!


I have been just staring at this painting trying to decide what to do for the shelf or bench that the sprinklers are sitting on. I had taken the photo on a wooden outdoor bench but looking at that strong horizontal line that would go across the entire page seemed wrong. Finally I started doodling and decided to break it up like slats of wood to give it more interet since this area was closest to the viewer...it needed that. It is not done in this area but now I can leave it and start to consider what will go behind the sprinklers...that really has me wondering. If I paint loose it will contradict the tight part of the painting. I do not see how I can paint a single color because there is so much to paint around...unless I try to mask it and there is just so much detail I am not sure I can! So I need to put my thinking cap back on! The picture wa staken quickly because it was -30 today and I had to take it outside...so ignore the slant. Also as priviously stated, this is not done, nor is any part of it done until I get the background in and can then adjust the values of the different areas.

5 comments:

Brie Dodson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jane Freeman said...

As I said in the beginning I am not done with this and am very careful to not bring any area to completion before I figure out a background as that could alter the values...once all the areas of the paper have been addressed, then I can begin to bring things to completion. Yes, the paper was tilted when I photographed it. It is -30 today and we had to be outside to take this so it was a one shot deal.

Brie Dodson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Judith Angell Meyer said...

I'm wondering ... for your background ... since your new ledge seems so narrow, maybe you could put a barn window behind the sprinklers. The panes would be dusty, dark and maybe another spider and web. Maybe a crack in the window. I'm thinking the dark glass would help those sprinklers really stand out.

Just a thought. Just love this painting!

Kim Ratigan said...

Jane, you create absolutely beautiful work, I really enjoy it.

The sprinklers are amazing and I like Judith's barn window idea, but in keeping with the old/used theme, I can't help but think of a swatch of thick weeds or growing vines somewhere in the background or as the background. An idea with a ton of work, but you can pull it off:-D