Subscribe to My Mailing List

Google Groups Subscribe to Watercolorist
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Dahlia Beginnings



This is a full sheet painting but I just took a close up of the one flower I have started. I have been sick so this is going very slow but at least it is moving forward! I am using Indigo from Daniel Smith which is transparent and non-staining. I usually mix my own grays but being I feel tough I thought why not. It is a wonderful color as it can be completely lifted! So I am not a fan. This painting has 3 more dahlias and several buds and two fledgling sparrows. I think at the pace I am moving this will not be done until April! Ha! Hope I am wrong...I do like the composition but did spill some pomegranate juice on it...just one drip and boy that stains! It was in the sky too where I was going to do a flat wash...now there may have to be a leaf or something happening there...perhaps a bud...I nearly had a heart attack! Maybe that is why we should not paint when we are sick!
Since I have been sick all week I have played with Photoshop a little to try get the coloring more true...and this is where it is at..it is a little light in some of the grays but more true to the picture I hope.

9 comments:

V. Bridges-Hoyt said...

Janie, this is beautiful! I'm amazed you can paint like this while you are sick. I hope you're feeling better soon.

Angela said...

That's too funny about the pomegranate juice - things like that happen to me all the time. Always wonder if they happen to anyone else!

This is absolutely beautiful so far - I'm excited to see how it turns out!

Mary Jansen said...

Oh Janie! This is so alive and vibrant! Pomegranate juice or not you perform miracles! Can't wait to see the rest!

Billie Crain said...

Jane, wonderful start on the flower! maybe the pomegranate mishap will be a blessing in disguise? trying to think positive here. how will you glaze over the Indigo if it lifts so easily?

Jane Freeman said...

Billie, even though it lifts easily I can glaze over it and it just softens all the edges which is very nice...one could get very lazy with this color as you can fix most anything! Ha! I actually laid in the soft yellows and pinks first however as I was not sure if I could go back in...but I am sure I can if I am gentle.

Neelima said...

Hi Jane,
This is a beautiful start. Can't wait to see the rest of your composition.
Get well soon.

Phyl said...

Oh my, this is going to be beautiful! No one is ever going to notice the pomegranate! I think I'm going to learn a lot from you as this painting progresses. Maybe you should install a camera in your studio, a little editing and voice over................I'd buy it!
Phyl

Jane Freeman said...

I have actually been thinking of this camera thing...it is something I might like to try...but the funny thing is you have to be dressed and there are many mornings I start painting with my coffee in hand and pjs still on! Ha! I would need to get dressed and put my face on so I did not scare anyone! But I have been considering it that is for sure!

Doris Joa said...

Janie, I have not commented on this painting yet on Artcolony. But I wanted to let you know that this Dahlia looks already wonderful. I love Dahlia paintings and know how much work they can be. You make me wish to do also a Dahlia, I did so many wonderful photos of white Dahlias on a special flower event in the past year.
i am looking forward to see more of this painting, you colour choice is already fantastic.