Subscribe to My Mailing List

Google Groups Subscribe to Watercolorist
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com

Thursday, April 16, 2009

What Blue Was That?

I have been asked what blue I was using in that background. It was Daniel Smith Verditer...supposedly low staining but I am not being to successful in it's removal...I only try to buy low staining colors for this reason. The other problem is it is a color mix...I wish I had the tube to look at what colors were used...I never use mixes either...so there is rule 2 broken. I also never use a new color in large areas until I have tested it...broke that one too! HHHa! Obviously not doing well that day! This blue is stunning but it separates alot, even in my little dish I made up of it. Also I think it might work better on 140# paper which would be less thirsty...the 300# was soaking it up pretty fast I think. Different papers react differently...I wanted to try this theory out but cannot find the tube and I think because I was working so fast I wonder if in turning the board my tube fell into the garbage can and got taken out because it has totally disappeared! Ha! Evidently I am not suppose to use that one again! :) I will not be working on this very much for awhile because I have a demo to work up for a group of about 100 artists. Then I have a demo for the RRWS and then a three day workshop all by the the first weekend in June and with everything happening as it has, I have not had the time to pull things together. I think what I will do is maybe post some of my thoughts on the demos to see what you think...hope I have the time. I will be discussing values for them and so have to work up the demo...a dear friend has lent me a photo actually because it showed exactly what I was thinking about and it will save time to use hers for now...it is sure great to have friends!
Also I have been asked what blues do I use...and so here is what is on my palatte right now...Indanthrone blue which is my favorite blue...it mixes well with everything. Indigo is there...just playing with it again because I normally do not have it on my palatte but it does help to go darker in mixes, Prussian Blue which I added recently and have not had on my palatte for about 7 years but testing it again, Phthalo Turquoise which I like to mix in my shadow greens, and Cobalt Teal Blue. I think this would change if I did more landscapes but since it is mostly still life work these seem to be the colors I need. I maybe need to try more landscape blues to see how they work. I have Cobalt but since it is a granulating color it is not good for glass etc so that is sort of my criteria. Hope this answers a few questions!

6 comments:

Mary Jansen said...

Janie...since the tube of blue jumped ship and landed in your garbage does that make it a "fugitive" color?
I think adding the wall to your compostion was absolutely brilliant!

Billie Crain said...

Thanks for the heads up on the 'bad' blue, Jane.:) I recently discovered Indanthrene blue and I like it! I was looking for Antwerp blue and my supplier didn't have it so I gave the Indanthrene a try and I've used it on my last two pieces with very good results.

dh fla said...

Dear Jane,
Step away and look. This is a follow up to your recent e-mails. You are being too hard on yourself. With all of the extreme emotions you have been thru,make the painting the fun part. I think your 'repairs',new ideas etc will work fine. The last picture is looking better all along. Give yourself a deep breath and have fun again.
Donna

Jane Freeman said...

Thank you Donna...I am giving it some space which is what I should have done to begin with! I think I am also anxious as I already have most of the next full sheet drawn and I am so excited to get to it! There is a great danger in drawing that up and looking at it because in this case it is looking better all the time as I mess this one up! Ha! Thank you everyone for your patience.

Jane Freeman said...

Mary...you are sooo funny...yes that tube did jump ship and never to be seen again! although it is a beautiful shade and I so wanted to try it on 140# to see how it handled there...well...I guess now I will never know! Ha! Fugitive...you need to go eat icecream and settle down! Ha!

mollie jones said...

Hi Janie. Haven't visited you here in a few days and really do love this new format. Also love the new website up front.