Subscribe to My Mailing List

Google Groups Subscribe to Watercolorist
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I'm Back!


Well, the presentation to 100 artists went well. I now have a two day demo to work on and then a workshop for 3 days coming up in 2 weeks...then I hope to raise my feet in the air and review my life goals and weed the garden.
I did fiddle with the dahlia painting some more. Once I added the birdhouse to cover the pom juice I spilled, I realized the blue sky was too light...it fought with the light dahlias. I will be darkening them anyway now because this shifted the values alot but at least it will not have to be as much as if I had left a light colored sky. In the end this is going to be more of a painting to see if it can license for garden flags than for anything else...but I hope all of you will stick with your work and solve problems...it is always a neat learning experience...I found I loved the blue wash on all those leaves,,,so much blue and I wondered if those background leaves would even work but the veins being blue is working...and it just pushes me to think outside the box and make up things. I did take a photo before this to show the sky partially covered so you could compare but silly me. I did it with that new camera that I cannot seem to get a program to run to bring the photos in...so that one is there but unobtainable now...I will post it if I ever get it out. so here is where I am right now...alot of work now needs to be done on the flowers but that is not bad,,,the shapes are there so when I get time I will get into that and try to finish this up. still alot of work to do...deepen shadows in leaves and birdhouse etc...but I always adjust as I go to make sure I do not go too dark too soon.

4 comments:

christinoell said...

It looks just beautiful, although i think yo are right that the dahlia's need to be a little darker now. I really love the background leaves; they are so pretty.

Jane Freeman said...

I wish I could work on this but cant right now...but am anxious to see how the dahlias will go now...it is sometimes hard to change directions...they were working out being so soft and I loved them that way but now it is becoming a darker painting so we will see what develops! I guess it will be a surprise! Ha!

Lois Andersen said...

How clever to add the birdhouse to solve the stain problem. I think it also ties in with the fledglings. The original concept was stunning but so is this! Yes, I love the leaves as well. Thanks for sharing your process!

Phyl said...

I love this painting Janie! This one is particularly great because of the way you adapted the painting from your original vision. I think the painting is beautiful now, so I'm looking forward to what you might do to enhance it even further.
Phyl