Subscribe to My Mailing List

Google Groups Subscribe to Watercolorist
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas Painting Final


This is where I left the painting. It was so tempting to go in and detail out all those folds etc...but I think where I left it is enough to suggest those lumpy bumpy petals and give it some dimension...Mollie loved it and that was good enough for me! It ended up about 10x12 I think...which is small for me and really went quickly...making me think I should do more of this and see what would happen...more saleable but would not be competition size. But the biggest factor was it was fun...so that is something to consider as well!!!

9 comments:

Chris Beck said...

This is gorgeous, Jane! You've really captured the texture of the petals and the composition is striking!!

Lois Andersen said...

Simple and elegant!

Billie Crain said...

Gorgeous, Jane! Just the right amount of detail for this size, too. Sometimes the hardest part about creating a painting is knowing when to call it done.

Michelle Smith said...

This is fantastic! Love the lighting and subtle colors within the white petals.

Desiree said...

Beautiful. Its interesting you say its not competition size, what is competition size or are you saying that big wins? So it is all about size. I entered a small pastel that I concidered way to small to compete, I noticed that the biggest painting won.

Jane Freeman said...

I have found larger pieces are accepted more often and often are the ones that receive the prize...I suppose large is better on the wall...especailly for the national shows which have generally large walls and they want it to have an impact...so I just try to work big...that is not to say small cannot win...I have just found it to be more true for the larger pieces. I think with the economy however we may see smaller pieces showing up...easier and cheaper to ship and more affordable! Thanks Desiree for ordering one of my books!

Belinda Del Pesco said...

This is just beautiful. The texture is perfect, and the composition is lovely.

Kay Smith said...

Hey, I got to see this when staying with Mollie last week, and can brag now. Jane, it is so lovely!

Jane Freeman said...

Thank you Kay!!! Well I am just glad it turned out well for Mollie...she loves her flowers!