Subscribe to My Mailing List

Google Groups Subscribe to Watercolorist
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com

Friday, January 01, 2010

Milk Glass Progression



This is where I am at today. I have some kind of marks on the paper and the paint was moving away from areas on the background...not sure what it could be but I will have to go darker to try to cover those areas up. Also that background is much darker toward the bottom but for some reason we are not picking up that color. Hopefully the next time after several washes it will show better. At least I took a straighter picture!!! HA! This experiment is really a learning curve for me. First, I am trying perm. Aliz. Crimson and will take it off my palette when the painting is done. It is a dirty color that I would use if I needed exactly that color I guess but I find my transparent colors so much prettier. Then for the first time I am trying masking. I ordered the new stuff from Daniel Smith but find it is full of bubbles even though I have been very careful not to shake it...think it happened in transport or it froze...but still using it to try the idea of it...just hope when it is removed I do not scream! I would rather paint around things freehand and know that my edges are right...I have no clue at this moment and that is driving me nuts! HA! Also testing greys and I would have had prettier greys without using Aliz Crimson in that mix...they would have been prettier with transparents. So if this poor thing gets done and it works it will be a miracle but I am learning alot of things so that is important too!!!

6 comments:

Jane Freeman said...

Well Billie I have more to do...but will let this new wash dry and keep trying to find that lace pattern...once that bottom is in it will help alot too...

Phyl said...

Hi Janie, This painting is going to be another beauty! By the way I through away a tube of that perm aliz crim, I didn't like it either. Hope you have a wonderful new year,
Phyl

Phyl said...

Hi Janie, I just read all the comments on Art Colony. I just wanted to let you know that I tossed Daniel Smith "permanent" Alizarin Crimson, their regular alizarin crimson is beautiful and doesn't have all the hinky problems found with the "permanent". It's a great color, but for some reason the variety described as "permanent" sucks!!!
Phyl

Sharon said...

Well, it looks beautiful and I think you are doing a wonderful job on it. Can't wait to see it done. Sharon

Jane Freeman said...

well...there you go! Ha! Thanks Phyl, I am told if they make a color permanent, additions are made to it from other colors so it really is no longer what it was. I do not want to use any of the fugitives so I will just delete it again from my palette...found something I really like which I must try to remember to post when I update the painting.
Sharon, thanks! I am hoping once all the elements are there I will like it well enough and it seems to be better now...today I will work some more on the lace and get that over with!

Lisa Faulkner Wright said...

This will be a beautiful painting. I really like the composition. I like Daniel Smith's quinacridone rose for my violet red. It's not as warm as the alizarin but one could add a tad of transparent yellow such as aureolin to warm it up. Enjoying you blog very much. Happy I found it.