Subscribe to My Mailing List

Google Groups Subscribe to Watercolorist
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Winter White Peony

I darkened a few more area on the peony leaves but now we have very bright light outside and I think it just killed it...maybe we will see a difference. I am hoping to get this scanned next week and then it might be more accurate. I have signed it and want to close this chapter and move on...the next drawing is progressing and I will post that next week hopefully!
Painting white flowers is always odd because do you chose grays or what to shadow with...but if your values are right it doesn't matter, as it will still appear as a white flower. I seem to prefer a blue/gray color for this most of the time. It feels believeable but gives some life to the flower more than a gray would but I have done a mixed gray and it has been lovely too. So don't fear the white flowers as they can be alot of fun!

13 comments:

nicholas said...

This is really coming along Jane!

Jane Freeman said...

Thank you Nicholas!!

Jill Morris said...

I don't usually like such detail as I like impressionism, but love your white peony...I have been painting orchids so want to look at your values so I can do a better job of interpreting what I feel when I paint my orchids. Thanks for your friendship on Facebook....I am finding that I like to paint more after chatting with other artists on FB...instant feedback...I wish I were more patient...your flowers show great patience!!

Colette Theriault said...

Jane, all is can say is gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Your watercolor florals inspire me to try one.

Jane Freeman said...

Thank you so much Jill and Colette! I am glad they inspire you...Jill, having a number of values is so important and often people do not see values...it takes a trained eye to see those diffrences. In teaching, I found some were confused and felt like if they had alot of colors they had alot of values...others could not see it at all almost like color blindness. They would paint in two values and feel that because they kept layering it must be a different value and yet they layered it all up so they were the same...so am wondering if it could also be something with the rods and cones in the eye? But I also know it can be learned.

Mrs. G. said...

Whatever you did between the last post on this painting and this one really did amazing things for it. It was beautiful before but now it is spectacular.

Jane Freeman said...

I had it professionally scanned because we have had so much gray skies and it just would not photograph right...never underestimate a good scan! ha!

Teri C said...

So gorgeous, it just glistens and sparkles.

Teresa said...

Wow! What a beautiful painting!!

Michelle Himes said...

This is spectacular, Jane. I love white flowers in watercolor!

Mariam Kobras said...

How I adore this painting! I'd have loved to put it on my Facebook wall and share it with my friends, but alas, you state you don't want it shared. It is still the most beautiful peony art I've ever seen. :)

Jane Freeman said...

Mariam, I do believe it is in my photos at Facebook and then you can tag it from there. I have loved this one too...I always think I might repaint it but it would never be the same! ha!

Jane Freeman said...

Actually, this brings up something I overlooked a few days ago when I added the tweet and facebook apps here. You can now click on the button below a painting to share at Facebook or tweet it etc...that helps my readership as well to bring people here. I need to redo what I say in the beginning now so that people can do that. It brings only a small file into FB and they have to come here to view it. Thanks!!