Subscribe to My Mailing List

Google Groups Subscribe to Watercolorist
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com

Thursday, March 17, 2011

At Attention

For now the title of this is "At Attention" as that fits so well on entry forms! ha! This watercolor is done. I have had it photographed and want to move on to something new. I am worried it might be dark...but I have added darks so you might see a change in the coloring some. I am hoping to enter this is Birds In Art. That is a tough show to get into but I want to at least try.
I want to point out here as a teaching thought...the leaves remained more like shapes with little interest in them because I feared they would detract from the house and the bird. It was very tempting to go in and add something to them but I have not and I think that was the right choice. Backgrounds are always hard for me because I do not want to settle for a dark background just because that is easy or a solid one...I am always looking for another solution and because I am so stubborn it will always be my challenge I guess! Ha! Thanks for following me on this through two illnesses!!! Next I will work on a cat with a girl...some would say girl with a cat but I think the cat is going to steal the show if I can pull it off!

4 comments:

Jane Freeman said...

I figured out how to lighten it so the colors stayed true...so it looks alot better.

Larry said...

Great Jane as always! Laremac

Lorraine Watry said...

Jane, I am new to your blog. I love this piece. I really like how the bird sort of blends with and appears out of the background. I like the decorative quality of the leaves. I wouldn't change a thing. The title is great! :)

Jane Freeman said...

Thank you Lorraine! Very kind of you! I hope to get it scanned for prints at some point...then get this thing under a mat and hung so I do not mess with it! ha!