Subscribe to My Mailing List

Google Groups Subscribe to Watercolorist
Browse Archives at

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Watercolor of Girl and Cat

I have begun this watercolor but it is a real struggle. I was not going to post but decided to do it as it will be a learning experience for us all! This is the new Arches watercolor board. I am finding it gets a gray cast when wet and so very hard to determine the value of the paint you apply and also is really not easy to lift. However it is a nice smooth surface so maybe I can learn to work with it...who knows...another media might have to be added to bring it to completion. So here you go...calling this step one. We will see how it goes!!! I want to keep it a very unified piece with color so hoping to just be very careful about adding anymore to this...we will see!


Art By Erika said...

Jane thanks for sharing a vulnerable moment :) Thank you for keeping me company too. I am wondering what you are concerned about? Is it the ground? What is the ground for this piece? I am painting a portrait plus flowers around the face. I do portraits but not flowers.

Jane Freeman said...

I bought this stuff and so it is 90# paper adhered to a board and not liking it alot as I use alot of soft lifting for is part of how I work so this is not lifting and that makes it different...I wish I had used 300# on this and not experimented! ha!

Art By Erika said...

Wow it's indeed very brave of you! I wonder why they chose 90 over 140. I'd be afraid that the washes I do would create big problems if I used this ground. But if anybody can pull this off (or lift) it's you Jane! Thanks again for sharing your exploration :)

Michelle Himes said...

How frustrating, to have this wonderful image and to be working on paper that fights you. But I know you will solve it and this will be a fantastic painting.