Subscribe to My Mailing List

Google Groups Subscribe to Watercolorist
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Red Tulip Watercolor

I just completed another stretched watercolor paper painting. This is again 8x8 over stretcher bars and you can see there is some depth with picture two...Getting reds to photograph correctly is not easy but I am close. I am hoping I can get a collection of small pieces to sell at some point...as they seem more marketable because they are without frame, glass and mat and are varnished for protection which seems more modern for the younger collector. We shall see!

6 comments:

Phyl said...

Hi Janie,
I saw your comments on ArtColony. It's nice to know that someone else has had the same experience as I did. You're right it does paint differently. It seems to lose the flow that you have when you paint on the paper normally. The paint doesn't blend or mix with the wet paper in the same way.

At any rate, I've tried this several times, and I've given up, I like my paper and paints to behave like they're supposed to!
However, as always, your pictures turned out beautifully, wish I could say the same for mine! LOL

Jane Freeman said...

Thanks Phyl! Nice to hear from you again! Yup...there definately is something different that happens and why is hard to know...but it is different.

Arena Shawn said...

Jane, I am interested in what varnish you use directly on top of paper? I would love to give it a try but hesitate over the correct varnish to use... Thank!

Jane Freeman said...

Arena, I first use a spray fixative called Krylon Matte Finish 1377. I do 3 very light coats of this so that I know my watercolor is covered enough to begin applying the varnish. Once I am ready to do the varnishing I use Golden Polymer Varnish with UVLS in Satin. I dilute it 50% with water...when I apply I use a very soft larger brush and put it on so softly...I try to imagine painting a butterfly wing as I still am being careful not to disturb the watercolor, just in case. Each coat much be throughly dry before the next. I apply 3-4 coats of varnish and feel it is then done and fully protected.

city said...

thanks for sharing.

Mary Faleeva said...

That is a wonderful painting. I have tried watercolour and found it extremely hard. When I do not add enough water I find the colour too thick, and when I add to much to covers more space than I want it too. Also, I find it very hard to correct my mistakes when using watercolor. Any tips?
thanks