Subscribe to My Mailing List

Google Groups Subscribe to Watercolorist
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Iris Watercolor Demo #1

Well I have begun a new painting and thought I would try to document it more carefully than my previous ones...I have it nearly all drawn and have begun to lay in some of the colors that are light in the upper parts. The fall that comes forward is much darker and I will not start it until I have alot of this background area solved. I am not sure of how much time I have to work on it but I thought if I put it out there and you were watching it would force me to find more time and keep painting! ha! Thanks for proding me on!

10 comments:

Alana said...

do you use cold or hot press???

Alana said...

do you use cold or hot press???

Jane Freeman said...

Alana, I usually use Arches 300#CP but this happens to be 140# CP...I like my paper to have some tooth. It has been a number of years since I have used 140# and am not liking it like 300# but it all is what you get use to. I think my color is sharper on 300#.

Phyl said...

I'm going to keep my eye on this one. I've been trying to do a decent iris for a long time, maybe you can show me how!!!!

Laura Leeder said...

Jane, I am thanking you in advance for sharing this painting and it's process. I have only attempted the much simpler dutch iris. I am looking forward to this one!

Carol Blackburn said...

Beautiful start, Jane. I love watching progress posts. Thanks for sharing.

Studio at the Farm said...

I really look forward to seeing more of your steps in the painting, Jane!

Alana said...

Ok...I'll check it out. I did two watercolor painting sometime last year and like the way it came out with the layers. The only thing I know is that it was HP paper. So I'll have to look around. Thanks for your advice :)

Vicki Greene said...

Thank you for the WIP shots. I can't seem to paint a decent iris so maybe I will learn something from watching yours develop.

Janet Belich said...

OH BOY, leaning over your shoulder now !